Saturday, January 16, 2010

The LittleEngine That Could...


Just like the engine in this story sometimes my students need to be motivated. It is not that they are incapable of great things, it is the fact no one told them enough or believed they were capable of great things. I strive to build my students' self esteem because I believe it is the key to motivation. Extrinsic rewards will initially work, but long term motivation has to come from within.

Initially I use extrinsic motivators to get my students to start working. I have baked cookies, made pepperoni bread, let them listen to music, let them color, etc as a reward for starting an assignment. Once students complete an assignment successfully their self esteem grows and in turn motivation grows. Other motivating factors for my students are having the opportunity to mentor each other in Globaloria , calls and comments from other schools, instructors, David, and Rachel are highly motivating to my students, and webex sessions. This semester they will be required to read other student blogs and wiki pages and comment on both.

I struggle every day to find good motivators for my girls. What motivates one student does not motivate another. I have to agree with Dionne the most important tool in motivation is knowing your students. Take time every day to get to know who they are, what they find important, what their concerns are, etc. You need to take a real interest in your students. If you really care and show you care about them it motivates them.

I look forward to more motivating ideas from my fellow Globaloria instructors. I will be reading your blogs and listening to your ideas. Thank you in advance.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot imagine a more caring teacher than you. Your girls are lucky to have someone who is willing to commit herself as much as you do to giving them not only a great experience with Globaloria, but more importantly, a sense of self worth which they can carry on with them for the rest of their lives.

    You truly inspire!

    ReplyDelete